Sunday, July 4, 2010

Aaaaaaaaaaand, we're back.

I have a phone hook-up booked with an editor from what they call in the comics industry 'one of the Big Two' in a couple days.

It's to discuss a specific pitch of mine, and any consequent issues, I guess.

Funnily, I have an eerie sense of calm about the whole thing, because I know the actual chance of the meeting turning into a paid gig is only partly in my control; and the part that's in my control is the part I have already put everything I've got into. I have prepared myself and I have gone and got a couple of extra things that are really not required for an effort like this but which would give me added help in conveying the intensity of pitch and the applications of it, and to some extent answer some of the marketing questions around it.

If the whole thing goes down in flames or the meet has to be postponed (yes, that happens, readers; editors have crises to deal with and emergencies bump spec pitches any day) I'll mayhap feel a little deflated but one thing I've decided; if I can't do the best pitch in the world, the one that shows I want to move planets to make a good story find a home, then maybe it ain't that good after all. If I don't believe in it as deserving of literary life, who should?

CS