Wednesday, July 7, 2010

How did the Editorial Phone Hook-Up Go?

I was expecting one of two outcomes:-

a) Like your pitch - let's do it.
b) Don't like your pitch - please go away.

What I got was something else:-

c) 'We can't use your pitch because of (X) reason, but I like it and your writing, it's different and it stands out. However:-'

c) (i) 'There may be (y) event coming up for the company - which would then allow me to use it! If that happens we'll talk again on this.'

and

c) (ii) 'I want you to try out for something else, a lesser gig, in scope, but will allow us to work together and see what follows. Can you give me soem pitches for (z)? By tomorrow?'

I am sure, dear reader, you know I said yes, and I've already sent the three pitches off. Don't know what happens after that but it certainly was one of those pleasant moments when you know people GET what you are trying to do. People are often harsh about editors, but it's important to remember how decent they can be, if you just remember they are trying to do a job; buy great stories.

More if more happens.

CS